Monday, February 4, 2008

Ek cup cha-e ami tomake chai.....

There are many things in our everyday life which really makes me wonder what really convenience offers as opposed to little so-called inconveniences. I take the case of a home-brewed cup of tea (coffee for some) versus the coffee (sometimes tea) in plastic or Styrofoam cups sipped during one’s rush to “work”. As simple as it may sound, the leisurely appreciation of a cup of tea sitting in your favorite chair or your personal corner of the couch in the morning, while glancing through the day’s news, or sharing some little talks (I can assure this does not take too much time) actually seems like a holiday activity or vacation luxury to most people. When I talk to people about this habit, which I continue through majority of the days, I am astonished by the stare on many of their faces. Some think that I have been blessed, some think that I’m a stupid or lazy person who can barely calculate the value of hours, minutes and seconds and for a third category I appear to be that super human. But considering it nothing but a small everyday thing, well maybe a pleasant one if you like, is almost absent (with very few exceptions)….

It is really sad that such things are fading away. Some people still regret it, but soon we will stop doing that too. The tea example might be just one incident (maybe not too significant either except for people like me), but as we become “modernized” day by day we slowly tend to give up all those things which does not fit within the modern clock. Such images might nicely fill your nostalgic memories, but in real time, very quick sips while you get dressed or put on your makeup, or more commonly starbucks counters (and alike) best suits one’s morning needs. And the accompaniments just fall in place, physical conversations replaced by cell phone’s or blackberry’s, a short makeshift news in the radio (if you are in a car, but if one can manage to switch from the daily boost of traffic and weather conditions) or the paper you picked up on your way (unfortunately that count is low, newspapers can’t beat your last nights unfinished best seller). Ahh, and see amidst this rush, the stupid coffee, our smart substitute in the disposable container gets cold, “unnoticed”, and finally finds it’s way in the trash, another one in the pile.

Meanwhile, my cup happily smiles in the kitchen or table…waiting for ‘our time” the next morning…

3 comments:

Sourav said...

Read it again today - I liked your second paragraph a lot more than the first. In the second one you have taken yourself away - and it flows beautifully.

Keep it up.

(And I look sheepishly at my styrofoam coffee cup)

Anonymous said...

Nice thought...it is indeed a tough choice to make, between your styrofoam coffee cup and a leisurely morning sip of tea, only if you take notice of it though...

Let me drag this point a little further. Why should I want to stick to something that does not fit within my 'time'-frame? Apart from adding to the styrofoam (or any other types of) waste, why should I lament for what I cannot 'afford'? I have said yes to the 'modern' schedule of my life, now what choices do I make? And why?
I sensed a value judgment in this post, and that is where my question is aimed at.
One should definitely feel free not to agree with me, but just because I feel nostalgic about the remnants of my good old upbringing, I may not see any better-worse binary between my choices, right?

Srestha said...

Why should I want to stick to something that does not fit within my 'time'-frame? ...

exactly so...and that's the whole point of being illogical, just the urge of sticking to something when apparently something else seems more plausible.

let me clarify one thing, choosing between time frame reality and the illogical instinct also demands being fortunate in some ways, fortunate of being to atleast consider the two. i know there are people around who do not have "any choice", but then in the piece i tacitly talk about people who do have the luxury to think about if they choose to..

Saying yes to a modern schedule of life does not set any absolutes for us. It's us, who choose to go by absolutes.
The tea example is just one I feel about strongly. But actually what I mean is we often tend to overlook that small things in life in this rush of modern pace which actually enriches our being. to be or not to be with that is obviously one's personal choice..